Better Bike leads the call for bicycle facilities and better mobility planning in Beverly Hills. We and our supporters have been working since early 2010 to encourage City of Beverly Hills to take cycling seriously as a transportation option. It says as much in our Sustainable City plan and General Plan circulation element.
We’ve put our time in as a fixture at transportation and planning meetings, not to mention followed closely city planning staff’s efforts to turn our Western Gateway over to developers – without any dedicated transportation facilities for the old Santa Monica Boulevard transportation corridor. Indeed at every chance we get we’ll shame our city for stonewalling on Santa Monica Boulevard bicycle lanes. Don’t get us started on the bicycle racks that never get installed.
How Can I help?
Get out the pro-bike message. Show up at city meetings to persuade elected officials that we care about road safety for cyclists. Remind them that you vote (one seat in the last City Council election was decided favorably for us by only eight votes). Or simply pick up the phone to City Hall to let officials know that you like to ride a bicycle and that you want to arrive safe.
Second, you can join the Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition. LACBC has been instrumental in pushing for bikeways and the kind of regional network first championed by the Bike Writers Collective). They need our support. Become a member.
- Member discounts of up to 15% off at participating bike shops;
- Discounts on special events like the annual L.A. River Ride which we called a big success;
- Free bike workshops (we loved LACBC research night) and monthly rides like the popular Sunday Funday rides;
- The valuable Bike Resource Guide published by the LACBC;
- The very handy Los Angeles County Bike Map that we take on every two-wheeled journey; and
- The weekly email newsletter that keeps us informed about local, state, and national news.
Last, you can tip your hat for our four years of work. We’ll appreciate your support!
Have a question about city policies or whom to contact in City Hall? Consult our Know City Hall page or go right to our contacts cheat-sheet. Simply drop us a line if there is some aspect of our campaign that you want to work on.